Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to test 60V6 Chip and Computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to test 60V6 Chip and Computer?

I hate to say it but I did something pretty stupid with my chip/computer on my '93 Z34. I pulled the air box and was about to disconnect the battery when I got a phone call and went inside for a few minutes. When I came back out, I just installed the chip thinking that the battery was already disconnected. Could this ruin my chip or cause problems with my computer? Is there any way to diagnose this? I believe that at about the same time I did this the car started to sputter at low rpms. It does it at a certain spot in every gear when under load and it does not display any codes. Any input is appreciated.

My Webpage

Ive pulled and installed chips with the battery installed over 100 times. I would disconnect the battery though right now for 10 seconds and then see what happens. You do have your stock chip plugged into the 60V6 chip right?
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
      Ive pulled and installed chips with the battery installed over 100 times. I would disconnect the battery though right now for 10 seconds and then see what happens. You do have your stock chip plugged into the 60V6 chip right?
      This actually happened a while ago but I haven't gotten around to posting. I have had the battery disconnected a few times and yes the chip is installed into the stock one. I also tried with the 60V6 chip in and out. I just wanted to make sure that I didnt mess anything up when I installed it without disconnecting the battery. The sputter is so easily reproducible and always at a certain rpm in each gear I thought it might be related since it started at about the same time.

My Webpage

Comment

It does the same with just the stock chip or with the 60V6 chip in there? Its possible that your ECM has an issue or it could very well be something else.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Thats what I figured, like I said just wanted to make sure I couldnt have ruined the chip. I suppose I couldnt have ruined the stock chip since you said its ok to install it with the battery connected....Is there any way that I can test/check the ECM? Not to say that you can totally rule them out but the plugs and wires are fairly new, the spark to each cylinder in the front bank looks good (is it sufficient to just test the front bank since each of the coils goes to both banks or is it somehow possible to have a problem with only one side on a coil?), fuel pump, filter, and regulator are also fairly new...So what are my options? ECM or fuel injectors? It's been going on since mid summer i believe and has remained exactly the same.

My Webpage

Comment

Only way I know is to try a known good ECM.
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Ok, that's what I figured I'd end up doing anyway if I didn't ask anyone, just buy a reman ECM from the local auto parts store and see if it fixes my problem...if not just return it and say I found a loose wire or something and didnt need to install it. Hopefully they have something in stock and I can give it a try when I am home for my 5 day winter break. Thanks for your help.

My Webpage

Comment

Well I bought and installed a reman ECM from Advance Auto Parts but I still had to use the original chip. Still acts the same. Have I made any progress here or do I have to find a stock chip out of a decent running dohc?

My Webpage

Comment

I doubt its the chip, as you would have a code or other major issues with a bad memcal. If it does the same with my chip and with the stock chip and it doesn't change with a different ECM, I would get the computer scanned. If you have a laptop you can get a cable from moates.net and download free software (freescan) to see whats up.
                  Ben
                  60DegreeV6.com
                  WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Might be the DIS module going out. They will act like that. Aside from other thing things they do when they go bad.
                    Lorenzo
                    '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
                    '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

ok, sappy, so i have freescan and im checking tomorrow to see if someone i know has a cable. what are the most important values to pay attention to? Do i have to drive the car and experience the miss while i have the laptop hooked up in order to get the necessary information?

gpse, i have been wanting to check the module but no one around here seems to be able to test the flat ones. if i end up replacing it i may look into relocating the coils and new wires as well.

My Webpage

Comment

Working...
                      X