Death Tick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Tick?

Okay, I think my GTP is due for some major maintenance. I was driving from Billings, MT to Bozeman, MT (about 130 miles) and driving about 90mph. All of a sudden the transmission, a 4T-60E, shifted into third and didn't want to shift into fourth. I pulled over and the fluid was a little dirty, but still full. I then noticed that there is a tick starting to come from my front bank. I have about 150k on the motor, and I am willing to bet the factory timing belt. Please tell me that the belt didn't slip enough to have caused contact with my valves. The motor still has all of it's original power. So anyhow, I couldn't figure out the tranny, so I jumped onto the road and it ended up shifting back into fourth. I don't know what's going on with it so any help would be appreciated. Also, I believe that the O-ring around the oil pump shaft is the source of an oil leak I have. I know this is a PITA to get to, but if I can kill multiple birds with one stone while I have the car parked for a month of Christmas break, I'll try to do this. PLEASE HELP!!!
    1994 Grand Prix GTP
    LQ1
    4T60-E
    FFP UD Pulley
    K&N

what year is your car? 91-95 3.4L DOHC are non-interference motors, the valves will not bend, there is no contact, and im not sure of 96-97 motors, i dont think the are interference motors, and i know someone with a 96 3.4L DOHC and there belt broke and did not bend valves. so i wouldnt worry about the valves being bent. and if all the power is there then i doubt you skipped a tooth or it would run like crap, try getting a sound clip , becuase ive heard these motors make alot of different ticks and knocks.and yes you can do the oring at the same time, but to do it properly you need to take off the rear head.but you can do it half assed and i guess it works good.

Jake
    GM Goodwrench Tech - GM Certified

1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.4L DOHC , 5 Speed Manual Transmission , Turbonetics 62mm turbo, Turbonectics Evolution Wastegate , Turbonetics Raptor BOV , Large Front Mount Intercooler , AEM Methanol Injection , Car is running at 11PSI currently with methanol injection.

Runs 13.4 In the 1/4 with a 3 second 60 foot

Comment

Well that's great to know. My GTP is a 94. Any ideas on the trany? I am going to go and have the filter replaced and have it hooked up to a trans-vac in about three hours. Is there an easy, cost effective way of changing the timing belt. Since it's a non-int. engine, I'm a little more willing to jump into it.
      1994 Grand Prix GTP
      LQ1
      4T60-E
      FFP UD Pulley
      K&N

Comment

well its hard to say about the tranny, maybe it downshifted becuase it thinks that tick is knock and it retarded the timing causing it to downshift, maybe you have a cracked flex plate, its hard to say, if u can get a sound clip of the noise it would be easier to figure out, and for the timing belt, u need to replace the belt and the 2 plastic idler pulleys, and your looking at about$300 for those parts, and as for changing it, there is a walkthrough on this site on how to do it, read them until you understand them and then see if you can handle changing it, its not a quick job for a newbie, probably 6-8 hours, and if you screw it up you have to do it all over again.

Jake
        GM Goodwrench Tech - GM Certified

1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.4L DOHC , 5 Speed Manual Transmission , Turbonetics 62mm turbo, Turbonectics Evolution Wastegate , Turbonetics Raptor BOV , Large Front Mount Intercooler , AEM Methanol Injection , Car is running at 11PSI currently with methanol injection.

Runs 13.4 In the 1/4 with a 3 second 60 foot

Comment

Working...
        X