1996 chevy lumina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 chevy lumina

Hey I'm new to all this and my experience in auto repairs is only when I pay someone to do the job..but my question I have a 96 Lumina with an aluminum engine, took it to a shop he said no go to much work to fix it. Well it was leaking oil from the lower gasket, I was thinking about repairing it myself I have the dealership manual, now do I need to take out the engine to work on it, because its hard to get to the rear of the engine, I was thinking about just getting rid of it but I like the way it drives... I also need a hobby so I figured it needs work I need something to do ....

It would be nice if someone could give me a reply need some info on this side....

Comment

Sounds like the lower intake gaskets are leaking on the motor...there known to go out, no reason to junk the car. It's a pretty common repair to have to do. I work at a mechanic's shop, I'd say we've probably done close to 10 in the past 6 months. I wouldn't suggest doing this as your first step into working on cars...at least for me, it can get really confusing making sure everything is well organized.

Most of the time, they leak coolant though...make sure your oil is not laced with coolant. To check this, pull off your oil cap and make sure there is no milkshake like substance on it. If it's really thick, I would suggest not driving the car at all, you can throw bearings out. Check your oil and see if it has a milkshake look to it. Go to another place and see what they have to say and report back, because right now it sounds like just a common LIM leak.

Comment

Working...
      X