Z34 Alternator Shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z34 Alternator Shot

Hi guys I should have done a search first and I promise I will but I'm impatient.
    OK.
    Yesterday I bought a rough condition 1991 Z34 5 speed. It does run but needs a lot of TLC.

The alternator needs to be replaced and I have been told this is a BIG deal.

So tell me, what has to be removed in order to complete this job?
    My buddy seems to thing he's going to have to remove the right side wheel and the drive shaft?

Thanks
    Ken from Toronto

Go on ebay and serch "twin dual cam v6" and get you one of those factory repair manuals. It will tell you eveything you need to know about this engine from the timing belt to the alternator and everything in between.
    I love it when a plan comes together!

Comment

i know this site and a few others (w-body.com) have a write up on this.

since you have a 5 speed things are just a little different, the rear engine mount bracket has a piece on it that can be removed to help aid removal of the alternator itself
      -Chris

1992 Chevrolet Lumina Z34 3.4L TDC Getrag 284
      1990 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix 3.1L v6 Hydramatic 4T60
      1997 Pontiac Bonneville SSE 3.8L v6, Hydramatic 4T60E
      1987 Chevrolet Camaro 5.0L v8, Hydramatic 700R4

Comment

sweet info right there!

Comment

i have seen some1 take out an alt by moving the tie rod out of the way on a manual. it sucked too b/c i didn't think it would work, so i go the "i told ya so".

usually however you have to loosen some frame screws to get it out. be careful not to drop it too far or you'll be re-connecting the u-joint for your steering.
          The Official Rotating Mass Nazi

Comment

dealer pays 3.5 - 4.0 hours for this job
            rate: $98.00 / hour
            Toronto Prices

Comment

is pricey to have the dealer do it , but i had mine done by the dealer about about 7 ot more years ago and go back for a new one about once a year.thats the reason i don't go with a high out put alt.
              i just love to watch the wheels turn around and around

Comment

Bro
                you go through an alternator every year?
                are you joking?

Comment

Ouch... swap it into a Fiero. It takes me 15 minutes to remove and reinstall the alt!

Comment

seems that way ,i just got a new one about 2 months ago.i try to help it as much as i can i have a red top batt on front and a kinetik on the back ,and 0 gauge wire .
                    i just love to watch the wheels turn around and around

Comment

I live in Oshawa, I could do it for you if ya had alot of time. You need a ball joint fork, a big F**K off socket to remove the bolt, a T-55, and various other tools, its easier to remove the drive shaft and strut tower and lower the cradle then anything else... my buddie and I did his in a day.

Comment

Will a fiero do a wheelstand with a 3.4? I saw one with a V8 in it.

Comment

What car do you have yourself?
                          Damn was it made in Oshawa? LOL

Originally posted by MONICAZ34 View Post
                          I live in Oshawa, I could do it for you if ya had alot of time. You need a ball joint fork, a big F**K off socket to remove the bolt, a T-55, and various other tools, its easier to remove the drive shaft and strut tower and lower the cradle then anything else... my buddie and I did his in a day.

Comment

Originally posted by MONICAZ34 View Post
                            Will a fiero do a wheelstand with a 3.4?
                            A DOHC Fiero weighs like 2850+ lbs. My nearly fully stripped DOHC Fiero was 2720 lbs according to some race scales I used. With a built block and a big fucking turbo a 3.4 DOHC Fiero might do a wheelstand... and then break the trans.

But changing the alt is easy. :-D

Comment

Working...
                            X