Blown motor in 3400 Alero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blown motor in 3400 Alero

Hey guys, nice forum you guys got here. Lots of info, but I need to know what cars will have motors that are a direct, plug and play swap into my 2001 Alero w/ 3400. I was looking for a stickie w/ motor info or a similar thread but I did not find one. Im sure this is a common question so if there is a thread point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance guys.

Welcome! What exactly is wrong with your engine? If its a bottom end issue, and some of the top stuff can be swapped over (mainly the upper and lower intake manifold), then basically all 3400s will be a direct swap over by re-using your old LIM and UIM. Car list would include all vans (Venture, Silhouette, etc) from 96-up, 2000+ N-bodies (Alero and GAGT), as well as 2000+ W-bodies (Grand Prix, possibly Lumina).

Check out www.car-parts.com to do a quick search of junkyards in your area that may have something for you, but also do a search for the other vehicles I mentioned, as there are some slight differences on the top end which result in different matches.

Hope this helps!
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Im not sure what wrong w/ the motor. I got it for $1200 and I dont want to spend time on the motor. I just want to get it out and get a known running one in. The rest of the car is pretty much mint. Guy was just sick of it I guess. So for a direct, plug and play swap of the entire motor, I need to get one from an Alero?

Comment

Short answer:

Yes.

Swapping the intake would help your odds of finding an engine cheap and it would give you a chance to make sure the engine has the new "Problem Solver" metal intake gaskets to prevent the replacement engine from going south if it has the plastic gaskets.
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
        Originally posted by Jay Leno
        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

ok this is the info im looking for. I dont mind things like swapping intakes and headers and such. I just dont want to buy one from another car to find out that the motor mount is two inches off because it came from a different car. You know what I mean? What cars should I be looking at? And which ones have the intake gasket I want? Thanks for chiming in guys.

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
            basically all 3400s will be a direct swap over by re-using your old LIM and UIM. Car list would include all vans (Venture, Silhouette, etc) from 96-up, 2000+ N-bodies (Alero and GAGT), as well as 2000+ W-bodies (Grand Prix, possibly Lumina).
            The metal gaskets you get from your local parts store.

FEL-PRO Part # MS98003T

A list of cars this gasket set fits (and the list of years/cars you can find the 3400 in- thank you www.rockauto.com )

BUICK CENTURY CUSTOM (2000 - 2005)
            BUICK CENTURY LIMITED (2000 - 2005)
            BUICK CENTURY SPECIAL EDITION 2005
            BUICK RENDEZVOUS (2002 - 2005)
            CHEVROLET IMPALA (2000 - 2005)
            CHEVROLET LUMINA (2000 - 2001)
            CHEVROLET MALIBU (1999 - 2003)
            CHEVROLET MALIBU LS (2000 - 2003)
            CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO LS (2000 - 2005)
            CHEVROLET VENTURE (1997 - 2004)
            CHEVROLET VENTURE LS 2005
            CHEVROLET VENTURE LT 2005
            CHEVROLET VENTURE PLUS 2005
            OLDSMOBILE ALERO (1999 - 2004)
            OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS 1999
            OLDSMOBILE SILHOUETTE (1996 - 2004)
            PONTIAC AZTEK (2001 - 2005)
            PONTIAC AZTEK GT 2001
            PONTIAC AZTEK RALLY 2004
            PONTIAC GRAND AM (1999 - 2004)
            PONTIAC GRAND AM GT 2005
            PONTIAC GRAND AM GT1 2005
            PONTIAC GRAND AM SE 2005
            PONTIAC GRAND PRIX SE (2000 - 2003)
            PONTIAC MONTANA (1999 - 2005)
            PONTIAC TRANS SPORT (1996 - 1999)
            PONTIAC TRANS SPORT MONTANA 1998
            Last edited by pocket-rocket; 01-07-2010, 06:39 PM. Reason: fixed my hacked copy and paste job of the years/cars
            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
            91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
            92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
            94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
            Originally posted by Jay Leno
            Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Thanks for the list! Awesome guys! I used car-parts.com and found a few engines within driving distance of me.
              I didnt know these engines had so much potential.

Comment

Hey guys nice forum you have here. I just have a question. I picked up a 99 alero with a locked up 3400. I have a chance to get a 96 Chevy lumina van for junk price with a 3400 in it that runs good. I didn't see the lumina van on the list. Will this work for me, before I buy it. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X