2.8 l lh2 upgrade to 2.6 lh7 performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.8 l lh2 upgrade to 2.6 lh7 performance

Hy.I have a 2 door1984 buick skylark limited with a 2.8 engine with 150 klms on it .
    The engine is an x lh2. 8.5 compression....I have seen that there is an other version available for this vehicle x lh7 with aprox 25 more ponies running at 9.1 compression .And that both engines are identical....Other than the higher compression ratio Are there any other mechanical differences ex( modified intake/cam.)????
    2 Being on a limited budget is it possible to install a thinner head gasquet to raise compression.I am also thinking of water alcohol injection .Is that a good idea for this type of engine .
    thank you
    Last edited by Harry TheHat; 07-31-2011, 08:38 AM.

The HO engine had bigger valves in the heads and a better cam. Compression was raised by different pistons. All iron head gaskets are .040" and I do not know of any thinner ones.

Water/Meth injection in not going to help performance in any way on your application. The only case it will make more power is where detonation and heat need to be controlled.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Hy betterthanyou
      Do you know the size of the valves/and the type of cam /piston that come for the lh7 ho 1981 and 1984
      also you say that water/alcohol will not help performance. Can you expand on that subgect please.I find it odd that a w/a injection can raise a 1200 hp engine to aprox 2000 hp but it wont do a thing on a 2.8 l
      thank you

Comment

That link will give you plenty of information on the engines you are dealing with. As far as the w/a injection on a 1200hp engine... You are dealing with an forced induction engine to get that kind of power, and with that, you are dealing with a lot of heat generated in the airstream in the process. Cooling down that air is going to help boost the HP. Honestly, I'd like to see the vehicle at hand, as I just don't see w/a injection helping out THAT much. Seems a little extreme. But, as BTY said, it won't help in your situation, as you aren't heating up the airstream. Sure, its going to be a little warmer due to ambient temps, but a w/a injection can only cool the air so much.
        -Brad-
        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
        sigpic
        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Hy bszopi
          Thanks for the input
          When i mentioned a 1200hp engine going to 2000+ with w/a ingection my goal was the amount of hp generated .
          As for the vehicle google ROLlsROICE Merlin 12 cylinders Spitfire ww2.
          Now the engine I am referring to is a stock 2.8 1984 carburated BUICK engine with no supercharger or turbo nor any anty pollution devices of any kind...developing aprox 113 hp.Now from the input that i have recieved Am i to understand that the people that peddel the w/a systems Are blowing smoke in my face.And that a w/a would be useless other than keeping my engine clean...??:

Comment

Pretty much.

The only benefit to a naturally aspirated engine from w/a injection is cleaning.

The benefit to a forced inducted engine is cleaning and the cooling effect. As Brad said, the process to produce boost heats the air. The w/a system cools it down making it more dense to produce more power.
            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
            91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
            92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
            94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
            Originally posted by Jay Leno
            Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Hey pocket rocket
              Thats the third reply concerning w/a ok the peddlers are blowing smoke in my face.concerning my setup. Now any intelligent ideas on popping up the ponies in a stock 2.8 without blowing the bank account to hell??? I am a jenuine grease monkey and i have a lot of space in the engine compartment.
              The engine is in partial teardown And i find that while i am looking at the insides of the power plant Why not improove it . thanks for the input

Comment

custome made gaskets
                I just picked up on an other tread COMETIC gaskets custome made to your desired thickness
                THERE goes my compression ratio and answer check it out

Comment

Working...
                X