Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HIGH REV'S! I need'em! There addictive like Crack!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HIGH REV'S! I need'em! There addictive like Crack!

Ok... I like have the shakes and can't sleep, cold sweats.... drooling..
    I need help....
    My Daily drive is a high revving 4 cyl (8,500rpm) and I just completed a build for my buddies Miata that included an Scca spec ECU with an 8,400rpm limit
    Now I'm wondering what the 2.8 could take? I know the springs are the weak link and float at 5500 or sooner but I'm sure there's a push-rod combo that allows High Consistent REV's

I need that perfect High Revving combo for the 2.8...
    I want it to rev to the moon! Need to know what parts, cam, springs, rocker, ect...
    I would like to stick with the 2.8 due to the short stroke, but I'm open to the 3.1 or the 3.4....
    I will be running this one as a N/A carb

Oh another question: Anybody Running Rhoads Lifters? (VVT) Variable Valve Timing! Lifters
    Last edited by blownarrow; 03-30-2009, 06:07 PM.
    sigpicWhen I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Originally posted by blownarrow View Post
    Ok... I like have the shakes and can't sleep, cold sweats.... drooling..
    I need help....
    My Daily drive is a high revving 4 cyl (8,500rpm) and I just completed a build for my buddies Miata that included an Scca spec ECU with an 8,400rpm limit
    Now I'm wondering what the 2.8 could take? I know the springs are the weak link and float at 5500 or sooner but I'm sure there's a push-rod combo that allows High Consistent REV's

I need that perfect High Revving combo for the 2.8...
    I want it to rev to the moon! Need to know what parts, cam, springs, rocker, ect...
    I would like to stick with the 2.8 due to the short stroke, but I'm open to the 3.1 or the 3.4....
    I will be running this one as a N/A carb

Oh another question: Anybody Running Rhoads Lifters? (VVT) Variable Valve Timing! Lifters
    Your gonna need a crazy cam, def. some heads that will flow, the rods are only rated to 7k so those gotta go, maybe an itb set-up so it can breathe, headers, ect. ect. You could grab a 3400 block (very sturdy) and drop a 2.8 crank in it making a what a 3.0L? That would be were i start, 3500 top end, headers, idk its gonna take alot. I rev my 3.1/3x00 hybrid to 6500 and its hairy up there, power is gonna drop off fast unless you run a very aggresive cam but then your gonna loose the bottom end power which is why most people go with a v6 in the first place.

Comment

it's a V6, you don't need to rev it that high to make power. Mine hits a max of 7K..

Like Weston says you are going to need a serious cam, very well ported heads, headers, aftermarket rods, balanced bottom end, good lifters, rockers and valve springs and a whole lot of luck that it holds together.

IMO the best formula for a high revving 2.8 is as follows...

2000-2004 3100 SFI block
      2.8 MPFI (7x trigger) crank
      2.8 camaro/S10 pistons (around 11.5:1 scr)
      aftermarket/custom machined SBC rods
      heavily ported 3100/3400 heads
      custom ground cam from the WOT-Tech store
      3500 UIM/65mm TB
      LT1/LS1 lifter mod
      Comp 26918 springs, hardened locks and retainers
      Smith Bros pushrods
      Crank scraper from WOT-Tech
      1 5/8" primary headers

Probably some other junk too... all that work and it would make less power than a 3500 with a mild cam and a good tune.
      Past Builds;
      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
      Current Project;
      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

whoa, I'm not talking 8,500rpm from it like my elise..
        I'm only looking for 7000, maybe 7500 that's a big maybe...
        Where do i get this: 2.8 camaro/S10 pistons (around 11.5:1 scr)
        I can't find anything over 9.5:1

Rods only hold till 7K or rod bolts?
        Last edited by blownarrow; 03-30-2009, 07:58 PM.
        sigpicWhen I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

whoa, I'm not talking 8,500rpm from it like my elise..
          I'm only looking for 7000, maybe 7500 that's a big maybe...
          Where do i get this: 2.8 camaro/S10 pistons (around 11.5:1 scr)
          I can't find anything over 9.5:1

Rods only hold till 7K or rod bolts?
          with 3100/3400 heads, those 9.5:1 pistons make 11.5:1 compression, because they are meant for a much larger combustion chamber
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
          Latest nAst1 files here!
          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Just have side exhaust exiting under the drivers door with no muffler. It'll seem like it's reving to the moon.
            Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
              with 3100/3400 heads, those 9.5:1 pistons make 11.5:1 compression, because they are meant for a much larger combustion chamber

Oh!...............
              Looks like I'm making a trip to the Junkyard this weekend!

ok what's the diff on the 3.1 3.4 vs 3100/3400 heads?

Originally posted by 1988GTU View Post
              Just have side exhaust exiting under the drivers door with no muffler. It'll seem like it's reving to the moon.
              Done! but i got single chamber muffs under each door exits at the door handle!
              Last edited by blownarrow; 03-30-2009, 08:38 PM.

Comment

3100 2000+ heads are same as 3400 heads.

94-99 3100 heads have smaller intake valves.

3.1mpfi heads are different yet and don't flow as well. You need the Gen 3 3x00 stuff (heads and intake) to make power easily.

I still think if someone wanted a small high reving motor, a 3400 with 3500 heads and intakes, high compression pistons, and a hot cam would be bad-ass. That would be like a 3.0 large bore high compression short stroke cammed and headered monster!
                sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                Original L82 Longblock
                with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Im kinda doing something similar. Im de-stroking a 3500 v6 using 5.850 con-rods, .070 headgasket and 1.46 comp-hieght. custom forged pistons.

Im destroking the 3.31 crank to apprx 3.190 to accomodate the longer rods and increase red-line rpm from 65-ish to 7500rpms. Im also modifiying the block (if its possible) to run oil-squirters on all 6 cylinders. This, with a ported set of 3500 heads and comp-cams #122 behive springs should deliver a sustainable 7500rpms under boost without float. This will be running through a TKO600 5-speed gear box to a moser 12-bolt rear-end w/ 3.42 gears.

Im still planning out a cam for the motor. Im looking for a 2000-7000 power-band. I still got a lot of odds and ends but Im getting closer. Ben (AKA SappySE) will be doing my cam for me.
                  Last edited by Driver_10; 03-30-2009, 11:05 PM.
                  Took a break from working on the car. Got some better tools, got a better shop, got a better job... Its time to burn metal!

Comment

So can I get the same composition ratio out for the 3.4 iron heads or Camaro heads? as in the 3400/3500 heads?

Comment

Originally posted by Driver_10 View Post
                      Im kinda doing something similar. Im de-stroking a 3500 v6 using 5.850 con-rods, .070 headgasket and 1.46 comp-hieght. custom forged pistons.

Im destroking the 3.31 crank to apprx 3.190 to accomodate the longer rods and increase red-line rpm from 65-ish to 7500rpms. Im also modifiying the block (if its possible) to run oil-squirters on all 6 cylinders. This, with a ported set of 3500 heads and comp-cams #122 behive springs should deliver a sustainable 7500rpms under boost without float. This will be running through a TKO600 5-speed gear box to a moser 12-bolt rear-end w/ 3.42 gears.

Im still planning out a cam for the motor. Im looking for a 2000-7000 power-band. I still got a lot of odds and ends but Im getting closer. Ben (AKA SappySE) will be doing my cam for me.
                      Why 3.42s? I went from 3.45s in my truck (I know, huge difference) to 3.73s and the difference was very nice. Cruising down the bypass at 70 keeps my rpms at about 3k, but it's a four cylinder truck with tiny 14 inch rims/small tires (not low rider style either ).
                      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                      Originally posted by Jay Leno
                      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
                        Why 3.42s? I went from 3.45s in my truck (I know, huge difference) to 3.73s and the difference was very nice. Cruising down the bypass at 70 keeps my rpms at about 3k, but it's a four cylinder truck with tiny 14 inch rims/small tires (not low rider style either ).
                        Turbo motors make power under higher loading. The 3.73 gears didnt load well at launch. Id zip through the first gear before the boost would hit.

The 5th gear may become a dog now with the motor spinning 1000rpms at cruising (65mph). The TKO600 has a .69 overdrive.

The fuel economy should be good though.
                        Took a break from working on the car. Got some better tools, got a better shop, got a better job... Its time to burn metal!

Comment

So can I get the same composition ratio out for the 3.4 iron heads or Camaro heads? as in the 3400/3500 heads?
                          The 3.4l Iron head has a larger combustion volume then the aluminum 3X00 heads do. If you use the 3.4l pistons with 3500 heads and a .040 headgasket then you can see CR as high as 11:1 or more.

Comment

Originally posted by Driver_10 View Post
                            The 3.4l Iron head has a larger combustion volume then the aluminum 3X00 heads do. If you use the 3.4l pistons with 3500 heads and a .040 headgasket then you can see CR as high as 11:1 or more.
                            actually stock thickness headgasket would get you the 11.5.1 thats with the 3500 tope-end, 3.4l camaro piston and the stock head gasket
                            sigpic
                            99 Grand Am GT
                            3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
                            Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
                            1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
                            515 515 lift 112 lsa
                            15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

ok cool, but getting alittle off track for me. what will the iron 3.4 heads do on a 2.8 piston? or bottom end? does the CR go up? or will i only get flow?
                              Last edited by blownarrow; 03-31-2009, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X