Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3.1 3100 Generation 2? anyone know what that is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.1 3100 Generation 2? anyone know what that is?

I just got done doing the autopsy on my 3.1 that busted the camshaft. I pulled out the Cam bearings in car. The all looked like complete sh*t until I got to the #3 bearing and that really looked like sh*t! It had marks on the outside diameter.

I was thinking about jumping off a cliff after my run of luck but I decided to maybe try to swap the motor out and put my new parts on the replacement one. I called the local junker said he has a 3.1 3100 generation 2 from a 98 cutlass for $550.00 Told me the motor wasn't the original one in the car and that they don't know how many miles it has on it. I'll know what I'm dealing with as soon as I inspect it but what is a 3.1 Generation 2? I'm a SBC guy I don't know diddly about these motors. I have a 97 Century 3.1 presently.

I don't know how bad this is going to be but G-dammot! it's going to cost me. I pretty much have the motor ready to be removed since I had to come this far just to get the bearings out with it in the car but damn.

Here's some photo's I've never seen anything this bad. This car was brought new and had been extremely well taken care off. I can't believe the condition this stuff is in. I absolutely can't.
    [IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Last edited by Roadbastard; 08-11-2011, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Comment

And here is the #3.

[IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

[IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Comment

What's throwing me off about #3 above is that is was still tight in the block, with it's oil hole matched in the right position next to the other center bearing. Wth is going on!

So much material was wiped from the cam bearings that the center 2 don't even fit snug around the journals. Only the Front and rears.

and I used to call myself a Mech... I'm no Mech... I'm not even fit to do 10 dollar oil changes at pepboys.
          Last edited by Roadbastard; 08-11-2011, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Wow, that looks identical to the 3100 that came out of the 96 Achieva that Ben and I did a 3400 swap in for a friend, and I mean identical. After seeing new LIM gaskets in it, I figured my best diagnosis was a LIM failure that got caught way way too late and the bearings paid the price.

As far as the jumping off the cliff comment, since your luck is bad at the moment, you should hold off. Otherwise you might break your leg on the way to the edge and never make it over :/
            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
            91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
            92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
            94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
            Originally posted by Jay Leno
            Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Sorry to see what happened to your engine.

The 2nd generation engines refer to the 2.8/3.1L MPFI V6's that were phased out in the early to mid-nineties. GM started using the 3rd gen 3100 SFI in the 94 model year. Definitely look at what is printed on the intake manifold since it's possible someone replaced the 3100 with the older 3.1 in that car.
              1995 Grand Am SE

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
                As far as the jumping off the cliff comment, since your luck is bad at the moment, you should hold off. Otherwise you might break your leg on the way to the edge and never make it over :/

Hahaha thanks that made me laugh... be just my luck too. If it was the LIM that did this( could be) I'd be super angry. Dealer changed them out 70K miles ago and I just went in to do them again. I wish these cars had an oil pressure gauge.

Comment

Glad I could at least give you a moment of joy

You can add one for around $20-30. They can be had at your local parts store. Just don't forget to buy a T so you can run your oil pressure switch so the light stays off and the fuel pump fail-safe still operates along side the gauge.
                  -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Thanks, I never had good luck at the yard. Mystery engine, mystery parts. Hopefully they have something there. I really just want a bare block I can rebuild. I wish I was still in VA they had Uwrench it's. Man, they had rows of Buick's with 3.1's in them.

This is such a mystery failure, no signs of oil and coolant mixing not even in the pan. I'm wondering if my oil pump called it a day.

Comment

I saw many many cars in the local JY with 3100's in them.

Check this site for your engine.. http://www.car-part.com/

I checked and most around here were $250-400. They will deal because they have more than they can sell!

Comment

Thanks,

Just came back from the Junker and looked the motor over. It's the same motor. Didn't see any signs of a oil leaking but I see that the motor had the LIM replaced the sealant wasn't the original gunk. asking 500 bucks probably has about 130K on it. I would just strip it to the block and rebuild it, I'm not into mystery SUPRISE! you need a tow truck motors. Guy offered to drop it off right at my house which to me would be worth it. Does anyone sell rebuild kits for the 3100? It must have been will power holding that #3 bearing in.

Comment

Going to try to install the new bearings and cam. Just want to see if I can get the motor running again as a challenge to myself. Odd thing is when I put the new bearings in #3 was tight as the rest of them.

Comment

Hopefully the bearing ate all of the wear and didn't hurt the bore. Did you use a bore gauge to see if it was still within spec?
                            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

WOW! those are some incredible pics. are they off the outside of the #3 bearing? it appears that the bearing spun. but you say was still lined up with the oil hole. what are the chances. iirc, the lim gasket leak allows dex cool to drip into that area washing the bearing a bit. you said it was 2nd lim repair, so was likely the main cause. was you able to inspect the bores, where those bearings spun? and those hollow core cams. they are a peach, arent they? on the other hand, they will give up, before causing serious block damage. might just be a good thing. when this happened to my 97 monte, i was out in b.f.e. and on the job. knew i was in trouble, but kept going. it finally laid down, after 3 miles on the interstate, and in town. was seen on traffic cams, and road assistance responded. i had already called for a tow, and was freezing by the time it arrived. can only imagine getting stopped out in the middle of nowhere. was dec 29th. a bit frigid. and horrible timing. was my back up car. my main overheated, and blew head gaskets, on nov 30. and again on the job. 2 cars. a month apart. in the slow season. 10 months later i was bankrupted!!! just never caught up.

Comment

Working...
                              X