Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Isuzu Rodeo 3.1l swap for ?

Isuzu Rodeo 3.1l swap for ?

Hi,
    I'm looking into replacing the GM 3.1l v6 in my 92 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 with something a little more powerful. Could any of you recommend an engine that puts out around 200hp that will bolt into my existing mounts and trans without any machining? Would swapping my 4L30E automatic for a manual trans make my engine swap any easier? If someone could point me at the right place to find out what will work, it would also be much appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Well, there are lots of different engines that will fit the bellhousing bolt pattern. The easiest and least amount of work is to swap a 3.4 out of a 95 or so Camaro / Firebird into your rig. I think you have T body fuel injection - you may want to keep it for the time being if you don't have alot of $$ or time. Otherwise, an Edelbrock intake and Holley 390 CFM with an early non computer controlled distributor (82 - 85) and a larger exhaust will give you close to 165 HP. You will have to do a cam and higher compression for more power. You can be sure that it will be a major improvement over what you currently have. You could put a Caddy Northstar (325 HP) in, but it will take alot of work and a donor car. All in what you are capable of and can afford (time too). The 3.4 is the easiest swap, it is basically a bolt in. Good luck.

so basically pull the intake manifold off of the 3.1 slap it onto the 3.4l? would the ECM i have work with the emissions set up of the 3.4l? I live in Cali so I think I have to watch stuff like that.

You'll want to bore the intake to match up with a larger throttle body (from a 4.3L), but yes, you basically swap all the 2.8/3.1 bits over to the 3.4L long block. You also have to drill and tap for the drivers-side starter.
    '90 Isuzu Trooper LS, 3.4L 60šV6 (3.1L intake, '7727 ECU)
    '96 LR Range Rover 4.6 HSE
    '99 BMW 328i, 2.8L I-6
    '70 Opel Kadett Rallye, pending 60šV6 Swap
    '71 Opel Kadett Wagon, 1.9L CIH w/ Weber DGV 32/36

If your in California then you can build your 3.1L into a 3.2L. I built a 3.2L for my Trooper and it moves pretty good and i have 33's. It is important to pay attention to detail on the old iron head motors. Compression, quench, port matching and cam all make a huge difference. Intake and exhaust choices will also have an effect but the first four are the biggies on these motors.

The same applies to a 3.4L and you get a displacement bump but you have to re drill the starter mount and only 2 bolt holes on the engine mounts line up but it is not a problem. However I don't think the 3.4L is even a noticeable increase in power over a 3.2L so if you cannot find one or it costs too much then work with what you have.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

you mean the 3.2l Isuzu engine right? I'm trying to steer clear of that option, mainly cause Isuzu is, unfortunately, pulling out of the U.S. so parts are probably gonna get scarce pretty soon.
    How expensive would it be to get the starter holes drilled? today's trip to the junk yard yielded two dead camaros with the 3.4l still in them. I'm really tempted mainly cause next week everything at that yard is 50% off so i could potentially snag a 3.4l for roughly $200. course first i have to find a way to figure out if either one is any good. any pointers would be appreciated.

He overbored and stroked a 2.8L to make a 3.2L, no relation to the Isuzu 3.2L.
    '90 Isuzu Trooper LS, 3.4L 60šV6 (3.1L intake, '7727 ECU)
    '96 LR Range Rover 4.6 HSE
    '99 BMW 328i, 2.8L I-6
    '70 Opel Kadett Rallye, pending 60šV6 Swap
    '71 Opel Kadett Wagon, 1.9L CIH w/ Weber DGV 32/36

Nice!

so assuming the starter is in the engine could i just wire a battery to that and a switch to the solenoid and compression test that way?
    Last edited by arcangel; 03-29-2010 at 05:21 AM.

Yes you could. But there is no oil in those engines so that is going to cause problems. I would just take the one with lower mileage if you only have 2 to pick from
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast