Thread: Dumb head gasket question (Fel-Pro)

Dumb head gasket question (Fel-Pro)

Which side up? Head gaskets usually have some kind of marking, i.e. "this side up"

Does the side with the Fel-Pro brand name go up? The last set was marked, and it was the side with the metal section between the cylinders.

Told you it was a dumb question!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Let's go off tonight gsEnterpries's Avatar
    Normally if there is no marking, the side with the Fel-Pro name goes up. I've been a mechanic for some 8yrs and this is also how I make my living. Thats what I normally do, just stick the gasket makers name up and slap'er back together. Just make sure all the holes line up too.

-Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gsEnterpries View Post
    Normally if there is no marking, the side with the Fel-Pro name goes up. I've been a mechanic for some 8yrs and this is also how I make my living. Thats what I normally do, just stick the gasket makers name up and slap'er back together. Just make sure all the holes line up too.

-Gary
    Thanks, Gary. I wonder if it really matters?

Let's go off tonight gsEnterpries's Avatar
    I don't think it does, it's just one of those things that I've done over the years.

-Gary

Yea my new set is the same way. No markings. I was planning to put the branded side up.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Because stock sucks... pocket-rocket's Avatar
    I'm no pro, but I concur, lol.
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Lots more dumb questions to come, as I'm finishing a job someone else started. All the sensors have been unplugged from the motor and everything else under the hood and I have no idea where they go, but I'll cross that bridge as soon as I get the motor back together.

Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by SteveInMs View Post
    Lots more dumb questions to come, as I'm finishing a job someone else started. All the sensors have been unplugged from the motor and everything else under the hood and I have no idea where they go, but I'll cross that bridge as soon as I get the motor back together.

Thanks everyone
    Once its all together, most all of the sensors only reach to where they are supposed to go and they all have different connectors... Its pretty easy just takes some time.

S
    Shane "RedZMonte"
    2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
    1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
    -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
    2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
    1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
    1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
    1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
    1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by RedZMonte View Post
    Once its all together, most all of the sensors only reach to where they are supposed to go and they all have different connectors... Its pretty easy just takes some time.

S
    All the wires/harnesses have been bunched up by the fuse block. The guy (whoever he was was) was intending on pulling the motor/trans. Maybe unravel 'em and see where they'd naturally lay? I know what you mean, they only ran the wires as long as they had to and not a mm longer. I'm thinking the connectors are color coded, like light blue male to light blue female, and different shapes and number of conductors also. It just looks like such a pain the rear, and pretty confounding when you see the mess in all it's glory.

I put the logo up too on mine but have yet to start it.